Sunday, May 3, 2009

Where has Emily Post gone?

I often wonder what has happened to etiquette and manners nowadays. Some feel it cramps their style or "freedom" to express themselves. Maybe it is yet another lost art and a sign of the times. However, I expect some things in everyday dealings with my fellow man/woman. I expect a cashier to thank me, make eye contact, and (God forbid) even put my groceries into my shopping cart BEFORE starting on the next customer in line. When I am on the interstate and I am driving in the far right hand lane, I know I have the right of way. But I was taught that if a car is coming onto the interstate in the "on" ramp, that I should move over, if I am able, as a matter of courtesy. It's called an acceleration ramp, but they must yeild the right of way. Sounds like a conflict, but there it is. As with most things today, everyone has rights. Most have forgotten that responsibilty goes hand in hand with rights. People don't care about your rights, only their own. Should I move the unattended shopping cart in my way, as I go down the grocery aisle? Should I ask the parent of a annnoying child in church, to please make them be quiet? Cell phones open up a new era in manners and etiquette. It use to be, people had to go to where the phone was and have a conversation in relative privacy. Now they let the whole world in on their conversation at the bank, in line at the store or fast food joint, even in public restrooms. And if you dare say something to them, they are outragged that you stuck your nose into their "private" conversation. How rude of me???

No comments:

Post a Comment