Monday, June 1, 2009

Another Heinz 57 day

WOW, what a whirlwind of a day! Early in my work day, we find out that our site may loose 10% of our workforce due to layoff. Later we had a team meeting to discuss how we felt about the news. We were all speechless because even though we knew something like this was coming, we did not have a definite number or a date of action. We now have a time frame of not later than the end of this month. In order to avoid delay, our office is notifying some this week or next. Tomorrow I have off, because my ex-wife is taking her daughter to court, to ask for custody of the oldest granddaughter. I pray for God's mercy and protection in this, as in all things. It breaks my heart to see a daughter and mother fight as these two do. And as usual, I (along with a child this time) get caught in the messy middle. Both warn me of the other.
When I got home, the rednecks are celebrating a good day of work, in their traditional manner. Bon fire in back yard and beer. I am not sure about two of the guys, but one of them (my roommate) could never tolerate a 40 hour work week. He prides himself on being his own boss, runs a handyman service, and depends on someone else for transportion. He "claims" to make $80 per hour. Well, if that was true, he would own his own house and not being renting a room. Room....what a joke that is. It is really a den, made into a room by replacing the door leading to the outside with a board of plywood, more plywood covering the half wall leading to the living room, and a half curtain which closes the entrance from the kitchen. Oh and let's not forget the square cut out of the plywood leading to the outside for his window AC unit. Did he say he makes over $12k a month??? The bon fire is blazing, even as they cut more wood. Isn't this now summer? And to top it all off, they are cutting fire wood with a hand held circular saw in one hand and the board held freely in the other. Did I mention they have been drinking beer???

No comments:

Post a Comment